Franklin Guardianship Attorney

Sometimes guardianship and/or conservatorship are beneficial to the parties involved, and sometimes they are not the right solution to a problem. During my nearly 20 years as a solo practitioner in the middle Tennessee region, I have helped clients put guardianships and conservatorships in place, and I have defended the rights of clients whose relatives attempt to impose unnecessary appointment of a guardian or conservator.


I am attorney Judy Oxford, and I can help you pursue practical solutions to your particular situation. In line with Tennessee law, my evaluation of your situation will determine the best actions to take in petitioning for a court order or defending against a petition that is not in your best interests. Often, these issues are intensely emotional. I make sure to provide my clients with the dignified and compassionate service they should expect from a lawyer who is dedicated to their best possible result.


Contact me today to discuss your legal needs regarding a guardianship or a conservatorship. I offer free 20-minute initial consultations, and I work directly with each of my clients in case evaluation, preparation and litigation, if necessary.

Guardianships Vs. Conservatorships

There are fundamental differences to these court orders that will affect which one is concerned with your situation. One or both could be necessary, however.


Guardianship is a legal process for appointing an individual to hold the authority and responsibility for a minor child and the child’s property (if any). He or she is given the authority to make personal decisions, including matters of care, custody and property management to the extent decreed by the court. Guardianship is an option when a child is found to be dependent and neglected. The best interests of the child is the overriding concern.


Conservatorship is a legal process for appointing an individual (the conservator) to hold the authority and responsibility for an adult who is disabled or incompetent (the “respondent”), and in need of assistance in managing his or her affairs, including financial affairs. The conservator may be given authority to take charge of and manage the respondent’s property and finances, and may also be given the authority to make medical decisions, change living arrangements or make other decisions regarding the respondent’s personal affairs.


Usually, elderly people or family members who do not hold all faculties may need a court-appointed conservator, but other circumstances may be applicable. I fully examine every angle of my clients’ cases. Documented proof from a doctor acting with due diligence is critically necessary.


If my client has grounds to oppose a conservatorship petition, I will thoroughly prepare his or her case, present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, fight for my client’s best interests and appeal any decision, if necessary.


Contact my office directly to schedule an initial consultation at 615-791-8511 in the Franklin area. I also respond to e-mails that briefly describe your situation and concerns.