Jump to Navigation

Child Custody & Visitation

Resolving Child Custody Issues

In Tennessee, divorcing parents are required to develop a parenting plan that establishes a primary residence for their children, a visitation schedule for the non-custodial parent, and an amount of child support that one parent will pay to the other.

If you can't come to an agreement, the court will make those decisions for you. In my experience, I can tell you this usually produces an outcome neither parent is happy with and that often causes unnecessary psychological and emotional harm to the children as well.

My name is Judy Oxford and as an attorney, I urge my divorce clients to consider those facts and to stay focused on the larger goal of doing what's best for their children, a goal that includes allowing the children to have a meaningful relationship with each parent. To meet with me about your situation and concerns, call my offices directly or contact me online.

Since 2005, Tennessee has required parents to attend mediation before a trial date can be set to resolve a child custody dispute. As a lawyer with more than 13 years of experience in Tennessee family courts, I can help you take advantage of the opportunity mediation provides and avoid the financial, emotional, and psychological damage a trial can inflict.

There is no clear line used to resolve the issue of child custody.

Instead, Tennessee family court judges are allowed to consider a number of factors, including the nature of the relationship that each child has with each parent and the likelihood of each parent to cooperate and encourage the child's relationship with the other parent, allegations of abuse, or history of domestic violence.

In most cases, a custody arrangement will be ordered by the court with one parent being given primary physical custody of the children (i.e., providing the primary residence), both parents having scheduled parenting time, and one or both parents having decision-making power regarding education, religious training, health care, and other major issues. The goal is to arrive at a custody arrangement that is in the best interests of the child.

For answers to other questions you have about child custody - call or contact me today. I offer initial consultations by phone, or face-to-face at my offices in Franklin, Tennessee (located near the intersection of Murfreesboro Road and Mack Hatcher Boulevard).

(615) 791-8511 MasterCard and Visa Accepted

Practice Areas

Office Location

Judy A. Oxford, Attorney at Law
400 Sugartree Lane
Suite 520
Franklin, TN 37064

Phone: 615-791-8511
Fax: 615-791-1346
Franklin Law Office Map

Contact Judy A. Oxford

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Judy A. Oxford, Attorney at Law, serves clients throughout the middle Tennessee region, including Williamson County, Rutherford County, Davidson County, Dickson County, Maury County, Marshall County, Cheatham County, Sumner County and Wilson County, including the cities of Franklin, Nashville, Brentwood, Murfreesboro, Spring Hill, Columbia, Dickson, Centerville, Smyrna, La Vergne, Ashland City and Lewisburg.

Privacy Policy | Legal Marketing® by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.